Welcome to SharkRiver.org
“Protecting Our Water – Improving The Environment”
Shark River Dredge update!
OK Despite many setbacks & almost 40 years of fighting the current Shark River dredging has come to the end. WE should see much improvement in the River Channels & Spur. The goal was 100′ wide -6′ @ mean low tide. The turns in Belmar should also be much wider. We should have the full report in the next few weeks. More to follow.
Thanks for everyone’s help & support.
Outdoors with Andre:
Prehistoric horseshoe crabs are back in N.J. to spawn
- E. Coli Poop-ulates Shark River WatersAugust 20, 2016The primary pollutants in the Shark River are E. coli bacteria, sediment particles, and fertilizer. In the case of swimmers, the DEP estimates on the current bacterial exceedance for human health standards is that a minimum of 37 out of 1000 people exposed to these waters will get an eye, ear, throat, nose or other infections caused by staph and strep pathogens as well as a chance of hepatitis and viral diseases.
- Shark River dredging saved from TTF shutdownJuly 28, 2016The Shark River dredging project that was stalled by the gas tax impasse will resume "any day" now after state officials realized they risked losing an undisclosed amount of federal funding for the work, a Monmouth County freeholder said.
- Announcement on restart of Shark River dredging project canceled without explanationJuly 27, 2016Monmouth County officials abruptly canceled the news conference where a plan to restart the stalled Shark River dredging project Monmouth County officials would be announced.
- Dredgefest a Success!July 19, 2016The SRCC celebrated its 15th-year anniversary by hosting "DREDGEFEST" at the Headliner in Neptune on June 30th, 2016 to kick-off the long-awaited dredging of the Shark River.
- Friends of Belmar Harbor Sail-abrationJune 10, 2016Friday, June 17th, 2016....Maclearie Park at L Street Beach, Belmar NJ....4:00pm to dusk, Click for more information
- Dredgefest 2016 InformationMay 30, 2016Dredgefest 2016 flyer and info.
- Beach Sweeps – Shark River Cleanup – April 30thApril 21, 2016Join the Shark River Cleanup Coalition in an environmental cleanup of the Shark River on Saturday, April 30th. Cleanup starts at 9:00am - Memorial Park, Neptune City. See you there!
Check This Out
- Massive fish kill in Shark River due to oxygen depletionMay 14, 2015Thousands of dead fish greeted locals of Belmar, New Jersey Monday, leaving authorities baffled at what caused these fish to die in the outwardly acceptable waters of Shark River.
- NJ Oyster Colony to be Expanded in Monmouth CountyJanuary 14, 2013Stand by for increased shelling at a Monmouth County, N.J., naval base. State environmental officials are allowing an experimental oyster colony at a Navy pier in Middletown to expand.
- NJ American Water LossSeptember 9, 2012Freeholder John P. Curley says NJAW should reimburse those who were affected by the water main break.
- NJ Drinking Water – EPASeptember 9, 2012Water suppliers provide reports that tell where […]
- Eagles RisingAugust 6, 2013Many of us who live along the Shark River have enjoyed the special show from nature of our local eagle pair nesting, feeding, and flying.
- Horseshoe Crab SurveySeptember 9, 2012The Shark River Cleanup Coalition performs an annual horseshoe crab survey at the Shark River Estuary.
- Storm Water RunoffSeptember 9, 2012Storm water runoff in our area is a major source of contaminated water entering the rivers, lakes, and oceans.
- SRCC Non-Profit OrganizationSeptember 9, 2012The SRCC is a non profit 501(c)3. All donations are tax deductible as allowed by law.